The scheme exists to assist current and aspiring exporters across a wide range of industry and product sectors in Australia.
So what does this mean for the Textile, Clothing and Footwear industries? Plenty!
The EMDG scheme:
- Encourages small and medium sized Australian businesses to develop export markets
- Reimburses up to 50% of eligible export promotion expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000
- Provides up to eight (8) grants to each eligible applicant.
Who can apply?
Well you can! If you're an Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation or trust that has carried on export promotion activities during the year.
It's worth noting, this is a reimbursement grant. To be eligible, your business must have:
- Income of not more than $50 million in the grant year
- Incurred at least $15,000 of eligible export expenses under the scheme (first-time applicants can combine two years worth of expenses)
Principal status for the export business (some exceptions apply, eg. non-profit export focused industry bodies)
You also need to make sure your business has promoted one of the following:
- The export of goods and most services
- Inbound tourism
- The export of intellectual property and know-how
- Conferences and events held in Australia
Sometimes these things can seem a bit complicated and overwhelming. But luckily, Austrade have anticipated this and developed a series of videos to clarify the entire scheme and process. You can check those out here.
The Export Market Development Grant could prove a great opportunity to support the growth of your business. If you might already fit this bill, applications for the 2014-2015 grant year must be launched between July 1st and November 30th, 2015.
For more detail see the links below;
- What is EMDG?
- Who can apply?
- What can you claim?
- What exporters say about the EMDG
- Those handy videos one more time!