BT Financial, along with the Australian Fashion Chamber, are pleased to announce the the finalists for the 2017 BT Emerging Designer Award as Kacey Devlin, We Are Kindred and Celeste Tesoreiro, with the winner to be announced at the BT Runway for Success Event on the 27th of April. All three finalists will showcase their collections alongside established Australian designers including Carla Zampatti, Dion Lee, Ginger & Smart, Bianca Spender, Manning Cartell, Camilla & Marc, Rachel Gilbert and Gary Bigeni.
2017 marks the fifth year for the BT Emerging Designer Awards with this year’s recipient following in the footsteps of previous winners such as Macgraw (2016), Emma Mulholland (2015), Michael Lo Sordo (2014) and Christopher Esber (2013).
The winner will receive a prize valued at over $70,000 including a cash grant and mentoring provided by the Australian Fashion Chamber. The prize includes:
- A $10,000 (including GST) cash grant from BT
- The services of a BT financial planner for two years
- Accounting and business advisory services for two years provided by Bentleys NSW
- Two return premium economy class flights to New York provided by Qantas Airways
- A one year subscription to new media content business, Flaunter
- Two mentoring sessions with two fashion industry icons provided by Australian Fashion Chamber
- A Jeroboam of Champagne Taittinger Brut Reserve & up to $4,500 of Champagne Taittinger products for the winner to use at their post awards events from Champagne Taittinger & McWilliam’s Wines
- TONI&GUY Australia will proudly sponsor your hairdressing needs including:
- access to their National Artistic Team for two major fashion events
- two look book or editorial shoots
- three months-worth of hairdressing at TONI&GUY’s Head Office
Meet the finalists:
Kacey Devlin was awarded the National Designer Award in late February 2017, after a near-win as a finalist the previous year, and now takes home a spot as a BT Emerging Fashion Designer Award finalist. Her brand Kacey Devlin launched in 2014 with her first collection 1: Undone, starting a theme for her work to follow. Wrapped in asymmetrical pieces, soft tailoring and pleating, the collection explores how abstract and conceptual ideas of fashion’s relationship with form. From her base in North Sydney, Devlin is a designer in a new wave of sustainably conscious designs using locally sourced fibres and a production process based in the area.
Established in 2014, sister duo Lizzie and Georgie Renkert bring a strong industry background to their young label We Are Kindred with a focus on a modern woman; unique, striking and comfortable. A bohemian approach to design brings forward soft shapes and memorable prints. We Are Kindred believe in an ethical approach to fashion and now, as under the ‘Seed The Change’ section of their website, the label plants one tree for every product sold to support agriculture dependant communities and offset global carbon emissions.
Celeste Tesoreiro, a unique combination of comfort and luxury, brings her unique approach to fashion and jewellery design. The fabrications of her collections all appear rich, well worn and hard-wearing; strongly inspired by the Australian aesthetic. Her core values drive her brand; handcrafted, sustainable, local, fair, minimal waste, vegan, gender equality and transparency. Since her Winter 2016 collection she has produced locally in Sydney, sourcing organic cotton and 100% Australian merino wool. After starting the label in 2014, she is now stocked in over 20 retailers in Australia, New Zealand and Japan.