The Australian Fashion Council (AFC) proudly announces its unwavering support for the Voice to Parliament and launch of #FashionForYes, taking a decisive step towards fostering recognition for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
This campaign follows the ‘AFC Talks, Voice to Parliament’ event where AFC Director, Yatu Widders-Hunt hosted a panel of powerful Indigenous and industry voices: Rachel Perkins, filmmaker and Co-Chair of Australians for Indigenous Constitutional Recognition, Laura Thompson Founder of Clothing the Gaps, and Elle Roseby Managing Director of Country Road.
The panel engaged in an open and courageous conversation on the meaning and purpose of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, as well as unpacking some of the noise behind the Voice and why fashion brands should find their voice in support of this historic moment.
PANEL'S CALL OUT TO INDUSTRY:
BE ACTIVE (Rachel) BRING YOURSELVES TO THIS (Laura) BE BRAVE (Elle)
OTHER KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THE PANEL:
- This is a once in a generation opportunity to unify our nation.
- This issue is not about politics, it is about human rights and social justice.
- In the same way that we actively supported the fight for marriage equality, it is time to recognise and enshrine our First Nations’ people in the Constitution.
- If we don’t make this change now, we will look back at this moment and wonder whether we did all that we could have.
- Organisations/brands that have a Reconciliation Action Plan and/or a Social Responsibility Statement, or have previously celebrated Naidoc Week, should ask themselves why they are not actively also supporting the Voice.
- Saying that it’s too hard or it’s too political is a privilege that’s not afforded to First Nations’ people. We all need to act now!
The AFC proudly supports the Yes campaign and will share a #FashionForYes toolkit for brands or individuals to use across eDM & Socials.
If you are creating your own communications, we encourage you to include #FashionForYes in your creative and/or captions for us to share and amplify.
TOGETHER, WE CAN HELP MAKE HISTORY
This is our chance to ‘walk the talk’ and act on our industry’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
BE ACTIVE. BRING YOURSELF TO THIS. BE BRAVE.